Thursday, July 22, 2010

Retreat for Girls

Paige has been in Logan this week at Retreat for Girls and has been having such a great time. She called me Monday night to tell me all about the opening banquet. She loved the big beautiful room with all the lights on and long tables set so pretty. She called Tuesday night to tell me that Carmen Rasmusen spoke to the girls and did such a great job. The counselors had a fashion show to demonstrate modesty and she was sad that time was flying by so fast because she wanted to stay longer! Last night's update was a gem! She asked me if I knew who Brad Wilcox was.
"Yes, I heard him at Education Week and loved his class"   I said.
"Well he spoke to us today and I can't decide if I really liked it or not" she replied.
"Why?" I asked
"It was kind of hard to feel the spirit while he was talking because he kept making jokes. I don't think you should make jokes when you're talking about the church. I mean, we're supposed to be here to feel the spirit!"

Now just so you know, Paige is more serious than I am. She likes to tell people, in a somewhat condescending tone, that I think EVERYTHING is funny but that she doesn't agree. So it's hard for me to decide if I agree or disagree with her thought process here and I'm not sure how to address it with her. On the one hand I feel like a certain level of solemnity and reverence is required when it comes to the gospel. (I teach the 4 yr olds in primary and trust me we talk a lot about reverence, etc) But I also believe that a good sense of humor goes a long way and not taking oneself too seriously is a virtue!!

So I put it out there to the universe....how do you begin to help an 11 yr old understand that you can't take everything in life too seriously?

I can't wait to hear what she thought of John Bytheway's talk today!!!!

No comments: